Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Understanding the Attacker. 4 General Ways an Attacker Will Approach You.


There are various ways an assailant will approach you from overtly aggressive to subtle and deceptive.  You should be aware of these various tactics.  

Here are 4:

Ambush: You don't see him coming. He grabs you from the side or even behind you when your guard is down.  Initially, you have no idea what he looks like or what is happening.

Intimidation. No holds barred charge, attack, verbal threats.  Nothing subtle here.  By design or not, his actions often lead you to panic, to freeze. 

Charm. "How are you? It's raining your hair will be a mess.  Get in. I'll give you a ride."  Well dressed, well groomed.  Well intentioned?  You don't know.

Deception.  "Please, I have a flat can you give me a hand?:  "Hi I am selling... Would you mind if I came in and told you about our special deals?" "There was an accident. I'm late for work.  I have to use your phone or I'll get fired."  Students have told us about people feigning car trouble to lure them or someone they know to an isolated area.  We all want to help but be mindful. 

A survey of assaults in Toronto and globally offer innumerable examples of such tactics.  Without becoming utterly cynical consider these various approaches and how best to respond (sounds like a future blog topic!).


Stay Safe,


Christopher Gagne
Lead Instructor, International Krav Maga FederationToronto
416-657-1028
Ikmftoronto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment